Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday

Well today started off with Emma waking me up, and the two of us watching some cartoons downstairs. Ali soon followed, and we all enjoyed a colorful bowl of fruit loops for breakfast. Claire woke up exceptionally early today, 9:30!? She typically wakes up around 11:00 or so.



When we got to church, Claire showed us how tired she was. Sacrament seems like an eternal struggle with children. We might not enjoy it now, but I bet when we're old and gray, we will miss all the chaos.
After sacrament, all the primary classes stayed in the chapel to practice for the upcoming program. This was a problem, because Ali and I are Senior Primary teachers, and Emma is in the Jr. Primary. This meant Emma continually kept coming over to try and sit with our class, but we insisted she sit with hers. She then began the waterworks. I caved, and allowed her to sit with us for a while. During this time, the microphone happened to be in my hands. She persisted in asking if she could try the mic. I replied with a stern "No" several times, until I was so sick of her asking, I sarcastically said "Yes"! I forget four year olds do not yet comprehend most forms of sarcasm. Emma quickly grabbed the microphone, brought it to her mouth and yelled,
"Hi, my name is Emma Thom-".
Emma didn't even finish her sentence. She immediately dropped the microphone, and buried her head in my arms. She began sobbing and saying,
"I'm so embarrassed!!!". She remained nestled and crying for the remainder of church.
I told her that when we got home, she would have to take a nap due to her inability to stop crying. After hearing this, I looked in my rearview mirror and saw her closing her eyes while intently repeating a phrase in a whispering voice. I asked her,
"What did you just say?"
"Nothing!", she replied.
"No, I heard you say something. Tell me." I demanded.
"I was wishing that I was at Grandma Sue's" she responded, and quietly resumed her "wishing".
After we got home, we had dinner, and then went outside to play. Emma and Claire played around in the princess cruiser. They had fun. The neighbor kids enjoyed chasing them, or letting the girls pull them on their rollerblades.



Close to the end of their playing, Emma spotted a dandelion ready for blowing. She abruptly stopped her cruiser, carefully leaned out of her car, and picked the dandelion. She examined the dandelion for a moment, and just before puffing her cheeks full of air, she whispered,
"I wish I were at Grandma Sue's!". She then blew the seeds in all directions, threw the now empty dandelion on to the grass, and continued playing. She is funny. I guess her escape from reality is her Grandma's house. Nothing wrong with that. I used to think the same thing with my Grandma.


In closing, it was a pretty good day. I am not excited however, for my wife's summer to end. She starts school tomorrow, and so begins the crazy work schedules for me, and a very hectic life for the The Wolfpack.


No comments: