Friday, August 10, 2012

Le Weight...

Yep, I'm finally doing it. I'm confessing to the world that I know I need to lose the lbs. I am constantly asking myself, "How did I get here?" It's like if I could find the answer to that question I could solve world hunger. The answer is actually quite simple....I like to eat and not work-out...dum dum dum....

I look at the pictures of myself in high school and college (pretty much anything before I started having babies) and I think that I look damn good...but back then I thought I was fat. Poor, poor messed up little girl. I never had to work-out or eat right to stay at a healthy weight in those days, should I still have done that? Absolutely, but I had the mentality of a teenager (go figure).

Fast forward now about six years. After six years, fertility treatments, and three beautiful children later, I've finally hit my breaking point. The other day I looked in the mirror at myself (something I try to avoid at all costs) and I was absolutely disgusted with how I looked. That may sound harsh to some, but it was the wake-up call I needed. What have I done to myself?! Good lovin'!

At my six week postpartum check my doctor asked me about birth control. After Claire I never went on birth control because I honestly didn't see the point, and I'm glad I didn't because it wasn't needed. But when we started trying for Clark, my fertility doctor informed me that birth control can help with the side effects of PCOS, such as helping take off the weight and helping the the extra hair (yep, it's true) that we women with PCOS sometimes have. So, with that I talked to my doctor about it. He said I couldn't do Mirena because I need estrogen to help with those, so the pill it was. But then he said because I'm nursing I can't take any birth control with estrogen because it messes with your milk supply....GREAT! So I'm birth control free until I'm finished nursing again.

But now comes the hard part...figuring out how to reverse not just my eating habits, but my total way of thinking. Don't get me wrong, I totally love fruits and veggies, but I totally love my chocolate as well. I've looked online for tips and tricks, but then I have to remind myself that I'm nursing and I still need to take in extra calories for Clarkie Bean (but not as much as I have been). It's been hard to be nursing and wanting to lose weight at the same time. I am constantly hungry, I kid you not. It's really frustrating, I wasn't even this bad while pregnant. But now that I'm nursing all I want to do is eat! It's an insatiable need I have and it feels as if I can't control myself, but the reality is I can.

I've decided that I need to make slow, subtle changes until I'm finally where I want to be. First things first, I need to eat better. Plain and simple. And I'm trying, I make mistakes and slip up some days, but I'm getting better. Second thing, I need to move more. I saw on a Facebook friend's page that all she did to lose an incredible amount of weight (seriously she looks amazing!) was eat less and move more. What an ingenious idea! I know it seems simple, but hearing it again really stuck with me. So That's what I'm doing world, eating less and moving more. I'm starting really slowly, because I know if I go too fast I'll fizzle out just as fast. It took six years to get at this weight, I'm not expecting my weight to magically change over night.

You want to know my starting weight, what I weight now? Well, I'm not going to tell you. Really. Neil doesn't even know how much this big mamma jamba weighs, that's how ashamed I am. But let's just say I want to lose about 40 pounds. Let's start this weight loss journey together. One small step at a time.

6 comments:

The Dyer Fam-Damily said...

Let's start going to the gym together. Like in the good old days!

McKell said...

Do you eat protein with every meal/snack? My dietician and athletic trainer both used to really push that because it helps your body regulate your blood sugar and you metabolism and helps you not feel so hungry all the time (I use to always feel that way too).

Shelley and Eric said...

Good for you! I think it's good you're starting out slow, it is too easy to get burned out of exercising. Something that really helps me is signing up for a race of some kind. Start out with a fun run 1 mile or 5k (3.1 miles). They cost anywhere from $5-20 and it forces me to be consistent because I know I have a race coming up and don't want to be walking the whole thing. It helps me to work out when I really don't want to. Or find a workout buddy. It's a lot harder for me to back out of a workout if I know someone's counting on me. Good luck! You should let us know your progress.

Megan said...

I have been there!! I was bigger than ever after Lucy was born and i remember doing the same thing looking in the mirror... I told everyone how much I weighed though, for me it was embarrassing, but made me work harder and made me more dedicated to change!! I didn't exercise at first, I just started writing down what I ate, then I started walking and really lost the majority of my weight just by walking at night with my girls!! I love ya Ali!! I know you can do it!! Its hard but you are strong enough:)

Christa Cox said...

You ready for this novel?

I am NO expert, by all means..
but with struggling for 3 years after Braylee to loose weight and my thyroid issues and all that.. i learned a bit..

I HATE "diets". Im bad with diets. I plan to go to school for it, thats how uneducated i am with diets. BUT, the fact of the matter is, ANY weight loss journey BEGINS and ENDS in the kitchen.
Dont think of it as a diet, think of it as a life style change. Dont put temptation in your way. dont buy the bad stuff. The kids dont need ice cream, cupcakes, chocolate bars etc. if you can handle a little temptation then by all means, go for it lol. But dont deprive yourself.. that turns into binge eating. Buy lots of fruts, veggies, chicken, greek yogurt, think WHOLE foods and NATURAL. google recipes, pinterest is amazing. But the most important thing is to cut out the bad food. DO NOT eat out (or only like once a month) that will drastically help right there. and drink LOTS of water.

Working out.
everyone hates it, but you HAVE to do it to loose weight. Go on stroller walks, run, whatever floats your boat. In 2 months i can go walking with you :)
i also have TONS of work out videos if you want to come snag some and find something you like!

Good luck missy! You look great, dont be too hard on yourself

Chance & Leslee Lundgren said...

I've been wanting to go on walks at night, even just a few times around the block! Call me if you go! I need to get to working out. UGH.