Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Can a Mom Quit?

Today we had Emma's new "big girl" bed coming bright and early at 8 in the a.m. In case you didn't know, I don't get up before 8:30, usually 9, and Emma doesn't wake up until 9 or 10, sometimes even 11, so to be up that early was a little discouraging, but we were all excited and couldn't wait to finally get Emma's crib out and git her new bedroom set all ready to go (which I will post pictures of as soon as I get them). When I got up I was so exhausted, but I wasn't worried, it's part of being a mom and I've gotten through worse days...I should have known what was to come. So up at 7:30 to get at least get cleaned up and get Emma's crib taken apart and out of the room so there would be room to set everything up. Which happened without a hitch, Emma was an angel and her room looks wonderful.

So Afterwards Neil heads up to bed because he had been up since 4 yesterday. I fed Emma breakfast and afterwards I let her watch a little T.V. so I could wake up a little...it didn't happen. I actually started falling asleep until I would hear Emma scream, "Wake up Mommy!" and wake up I did. This went on until lunch time, yes no shower or actual getting dressed happened, like I said I was exhausted. I fed Emma lunch and put her to bed for her nap a little early because she had been up earlier that usual. She was excited to sleep in her new bed, but after five minutes of being up there she started crying so I went up there to check on her because I didn't know if she could climb back up on her bed, she had peed through her pants even though I had put her on the potty no more than five minutes ago! Ok not a big deal, change her pants and off to bed she goes no problem.

I stay downstairs for a few minutes to make sure she is actually asleep and when I know for sure I go shower and start to get ready, that's when I start hearing Emma again, this time she's not crying, just playing and asking mommy to open the door, which she didn't hear me because I was being sure I didn't make any noise. So I go in and settle her down, still a mystery as to why she woke up in the first place. So I finish getting ready and go downstairs to have a little "me" time because I'm the time of person who needs alone time. After about 30 minutes Emma wakes up again so I go get her and decide to get her clothes put in her new dresser and get it all cleaned up.

So I'm cleaning and Emma's being my little helper. I start doing laundry because I want to get caught up on that, which I'm bad at, and Emma's playing and being good, well she decides to go downstairs and play, which I have no problem letting her do, she's done it a thousand times before and she's never gotten into trouble. After about five minutes I decide to go check on her and make sure she's ok....I should have known she was being too quiet...are you ready? She had gotten a hold of one of Neil's sharpies and drew ALL OVER my couch and herself...I mean all over the cushion and the arm rest and her feet, arms, hands, stomach, legs...EVERYTHING!!!!

At first I was ok with it because we have a warranty on the couches so I figured we'd call the cleaning company and they'd clean it, we've had to do it before with Emma's vomit, so I wasn't worried. I tell Emma we're going to go show her daddy her art work and let him known that we've got an artist on our hands...we wake Neil up and show him what's going on, he then informs me that the wrantee doesn't cover ink or marker...that's when I lost it. I started crying because our couches aren't even two years old. I didn't know what to do. All I could think of was grab the wipes and see what that does, Neil calls the cleaning company to make sure, and sure enough they don't cover marker. Neil immediately calls my mom and searches the internet to see what we could do to get the stains out. My mom suggests hair spray...which helped a great deal, for a small ink stain I would recommend that because pretty much everyone has that laying around. And my mom's friend suggests a product called spot shot...seriously use this stuff, it worked wonders! Neil also picked up some oxy-clean, which was wonderful as well. Well, we scrubbed and scrubbed and then I took off the cushion cover and threw it in the wash when I had had enough. I washed in on cold cold and on the gentle cycle, and I didn't put it in the dryer, I let it hang dry. Well every last stain finally came out after two hours of scrubbing. I would have taken a before and after picture but I was to furious to take a before. I am getting to know the terrible twos all too well...

It seemed like after that little incident Emma was cranky, clingy, tired, etc. I finally had it and Neil put Emma to bed while I soaked in the tub and read my book...I finally feel relaxed, I just hope tomorrow is a better day. Oh the joys of motherhood...There is now a new rule in our house, Neil is no longer allowed to put any type of writing utensil within grabbing distance of Emma's grabby hands!

2 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I am sorry. Lukas has done that before too. I didn't get a shower till 5 yesterday and Blair cried all day almost and the whole time I was in the shower with Dan. I got out and she was still crying. Then she finally fell a sleep. At midnight she woke up to eat. Then Lukas threw up all over our bed at 130. Blair woke up at four thirty to eat. She was struggling to sleep after that. She finally knocks out at seven and Lukas wakes up ten minutes later! I am very tired. I wanted to quit yesterday too. Especially when Lukas wouldn't let me change his diaper for two hours and he was poopy. He threw a huge tantrum.

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I probably should clairify Dan was NOT in the shower with me I meant she cried the whole time with Dan while I was in the shower ALONE.